Have Summer travel plans? WalletHub recently released their list of 2019’s Best Airlines.
The average cost of a plane ticket is $363 per trip. While critical to consider, such factors often fly under the radar due to our focus on price. But finding the cheapest airfare is now quite easy for anyone with an internet connection. So this report examines those other, overlooked aspects of air travel to help consumers make more informed decisions.
WalletHub compared the 9 largest U.S. airlines, plus three regional carriers, across 15 important metrics. They range from cancellation and delay rates to baggage mishaps and in-flight comfort. They also considered costs in relation to in-flight amenities for the sake of fairness. For example, it wouldn’t be right to penalize an airline that charges for drinks if its tickets are far cheaper than those from an airline with free in-flight refreshments.
- Best Overall – Alaska Airlines earned the highest overall WalletHub Score for the third year in a row, followed by Delta Air Lines.
- Most Reliable – Delta Air Lines has the lowest overall rate of cancelations, delays, mishandled luggage and denied boardings. The next most reliable company is Hawaiian Airlines.
- Safety – Alaska Airlines is the safest, having a low number of incidents and accidents per 100,000 flight operations, no fatalities, under 15 persons injured in the last 6 years and a relatively new fleet of aircrafts. The safety runner-up is Spirit Airlines.
- Most Pet-Friendly – Two airlines tied for being most pet-friendly, ExpressJet and Envoy Air, with no incidents.
- Most Comfortable – JetBlue Airways leads the pack in terms of in-flight experience, offering free amenities such as Wi-Fi, extra legroom, and complimentary snacks and beverages. Alaska Airlines, United Airlines, Southwest Airlines & Delta Air Lines are tied for the second position for this category.