Starting the new year with some fitness goals? If so, you may be interested to learn about TRX training.
TRX training is a total body workout system developed by and out of the Navy SEALs as a means of utilizing your own weight and gravity in order to build and improve strength, balance, coordination, flexibility, core, and joint stability.
Locally, you can find TRX classes at the YMCA. The most interesting aspect of TRX training is that it does not involve weights or machines, although some classes add these for more advanced students. Typically, TRX exercises are completed using straps, your body is the machine doing and receiving all of the work and benefits.
Some common benefits of the program include:
• Improved muscular imbalances to help avoid training injuries
• Less stress on joints, reducing pain and increasing movement and fitness
• Delivers a fast, effective total-body workout
• Helps build a rock-solid core
• Increases muscular endurance
• Benefits people of all fitness levels (pro athletes to seniors)
• By utilizing your own bodyweight, the TRX Suspension Trainer provides greater performance and functionality than large exercise machines costing thousands of dollars.
In the video above, you can get an idea of the types of exercise you will do in a TRX class, demonstrated by a YMCA instructor in Des Moines.
To try out one the classes, simply visit your local YMCA or find out more information on their website ymcamidtn.org.
Find a YMCA near you: