UPDATE: March 24, 1:55pm
NWS has updated the timing for Thursday’s severe weather. Severe weather is projected to impact most of Williamson County between 1pm – 6pm
The Moderate risk has moved north & east to include Columbia, Franklin, Nashville, Murfreesboro and more.
See photo below:
UPDATE: March 24, 12:30pm
The newest information from NWS:
- Expect a round of showers and a few thunderstorms early Thursday morning around sunrise into the mid/late morning
- A break from the rain in the middle of the day
- Severe weather will begin in the afternoon.
- Potential for tornadoes, golf ball-sized hail, damaging winds in excess of 60mph and flash flooding Thursday afternoon and evening.
- The severe weather threat is greatest primarily along and west of I-65.
Watch the latest update from NWS:
Before severe weather hits, review severe weather preparedness.
- How to Be Prepared for Severe Storms
- 7 Things You Should Never Forget When Tornadoes Strike
- Stay Weather Aware With Our Weather Radar
- More Advice from CDC on Emergency Preparedness
UPDATE: March 24, 9:45am
NWS continues to predict severe weather for Thursday, March 25. NWS says it looks like there will be a tornado threat, especially south of I-40 and west of I-24. Straight line winds continue to be the biggest concern.
The main time frame for severe weather is 2pm – 10pm Thursday but may change as we get closer to severe weather hitting our area.
The National Weather Service, Nashville (NWS) predicts a severe weather threat for Thursday afternoon into the early evening.
As of now, the main concerns are straight-line winds and heavy rain. We could see 60+mph winds and receive 2 – 4 inches of rain. Until then, showers are expected Tuesday and Wednesday (detailed daily forecast below.)
Detailed Forecast Through Thursday:
A 40 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 68. South southeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph
A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly between midnight and 5am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. South wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
A 20 percent chance of showers before 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 73. South wind around 10 mph.
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 7pm, then a slight chance of showers between 7pm and 1am, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
howers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 71. South wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1am. Low around 52. South wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.