Here’s a great Easter Recipe with a Southern Smoked twist!
*Mutton is a mature sheep that’s more than 1 year old; whereas lamb is a young sheep less than 1 year old. Lamb can be substituted for mutton in this method if you can’t find mutton in your part of the country. Check out your local Farmer’s Market for availability.
Be sure to visit Savory Spice Shop in Franklin located on Main Street for all of the spices listed in this recipe. Follow them on Facebook for the latest offerings and updates.
- 1 (4 to 5 lb.) mutton shoulder (bone-in or boneless)*
- 2 to 3 tsp. ‘Cue Glue per pound meat (optional, but highly recommended)**
- 1 tsp. Salt & Pepper Tableside Seasoning per pound meat
- 1 Tbsp. Limnos Lamb Rub per pound meat
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Slather shoulder on all sides with ‘Cue Glue (if using) before rubbing shoulder with seasoning. Rub shoulder generously with salt & pepper and BBQ rub to coat. Set rubbed shoulder aside while you get the smoker ready.
Use the 3-2-1 method to smoke-roast-grill the shoulder:
- 3 hours in the smoker: Get smoker set up with wood of choice and heat to 250 to 275 degrees. Set shoulder in smoker and maintain temperature range while shoulder smokes for 3 hours.
- 2 hours in the oven: Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Wrap shoulder in aluminum foil and add 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar to the wrap. Set foil packet on a baking sheet and roast shoulder for 2 hours.
- 1 hour on the grill: About 30 min. before removing shoulder from oven, heat grill to 300 degrees, keeping heat all to one side. Remove shoulder from oven and remove the foil wrap. Place shoulder on grill on the opposite side of the heat. Close lid and check temperature every 15 min. or so, basting or saucing if desired each time you check. Shoulder is done when internal temperature reaches 190 degrees, which takes about an hour. Let rest for 15 to 20 min. before serving.
- To serve: Slice or chop to serve.
6 to 8 servings
Thanks to the Savory Spice Test Kitchen
[scroller style=”sc1″ title=”More Savory Spice Shop Recipes ” title_size=”17″ display=”tags” tags=”savory-spice-shop” number_of_posts=”8″ speed=”5000″]