A petition is circling asking the city of Franklin to lease land to enable Cheekwood Golf Course, one of the oldest in the county, to expand.
The petition asks that the city lease 54-acres southeast of the intersection of Hillsboro Road and Mack Hatcher Parkway.
The land is adjacent to the current roughly 55-acre course.
Cheekwood has a 22-year successful history in Franklin and is one of only three golf courses in Williamson County fully open to the public. Unlike the other entities vying for the land lease, Cheekwood is the only one that does not have the luxury of choosing another location, states the petition.
The petition said the course would like to:
- Expand the existing Executive 9-hole golf course to a Regulation 9-hole course.
- Relocate ALL its golf “operations” (i.e. carts, maintenance operations, clubhouse, parking lot) away from the residential homes
- Build an attractive new, multi-purpose clubhouse facility
- Renovate and enhance the course to ensure the long-term sustainability of Cheekwood Golf Club.
- Remain in an area and on land that is ideally suited to meet the community’s growing golf needs, and provide Williamson County with a new recreational /community gathering venue for corporate, civic and social use.