The Power of Pink

Susan G Komen race took place on Saturday, October 25, in Brentwood.  It was a day to wear pink tutus, pink shirts, pink scarves, pink wigs, all in the name of awareness of the diasease that claims lives every  year.  Pink was the  color of choice back in 1992 right after the yellow ribbon was used in hostage situation back in 1990.  Since then the organization has changed the range of pink and added the addition of black but association with pink and the Susan G Komen organization is still relevant.   With around 7,000 runners and walkers the  crowd was supported by family, friends, volunteers and co-workers bringing the total up to 20,000 in attendance.

We met Tiffany Crosby with one  infectious smile that  made us want to know more about her story.  Tiffany has volunteered at the Susan G Komen race for years, believing in the cause for supporting other women but after last year’s race on November 1st, Tiffany’s life changed from volunteer to patient.  Tiffany tells us how she found the lump one morning and quickly went to the doctor the next day.   She was then diagnosed with stage 3A breast cancer,  after 16 rounds of chemo, 6 1/2 weeks of radiation, and 3 surgeries Crosby comes to this year’s race as a survivor.  “I’m here to raise awareness, and I want to spread the word to check the ta-tas.  It could save your life.”  There was no family history of breast cancer but after being educated on the prevention, Tiffany  did self checks every month.  She could not be happier to walk with others in hopes of bringing awareness and celebrating with other survivors like herself.

The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® Series, the largest series of 5K runs/fitness walks in the world, raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease. Since its inception in 1983, the Komen Race for the Cure® series has grown from one local Race with 800 participants to a global series of more than 120 Races with more than 1 million people.

Up to 75 percent of the funds raised at the Komen Greater Nashville Race for the Cure® remains here in our 11-county service area to provide screenings, treatment, services and education for uninsured or underinsured women. The remaining 25 percent goes to fund international, ground-breaking research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures.

Take a look at our pictures from the race.  Our featured photo is a picture of Tiffany Crosby with her family.  For more stories like these, go here and here.