The two-acre City Cemetery was deeded by Joel Parrish in 1811 to the town commissioners for $100. Among the early settlers buried there are Ewen Cameron, who built Franklin’s first house, and Thomas Stuart, who served as Judge of the Fourth Circuit District from its creation in 1809 to 1856. Also in this cemetery are the graves of Col. and Mr.s Guilford Dudley Sr. Col. Dudley, born in Caroline County, Virginia in 175, is one of four Revolutionary war soldiers buried there. The stone gates were erected by the Old Glory Chapter in 1916 “in honor of the pioneer men and women buried” there.
It sits along Margin Street and Third Avenue. It is also across Third Avenue from Rest Haven Cemetery, which is a few decades younger.
Here is a gallery of some of the more interesting (to the photographer) views in the cemetery (right click images in slider to open largest size):
[scroller style=”sc1″ title=”Other News” title_size=”17″ number_of_posts=”4″ speed=”300″]