The fires in Sevier County left many people out of house and home.
But it also affected an untold number of pets, which is something that is easy to get lost in the shuffle.
Mars Petcare and its employees have responded to the need.
The locally based company has:
- donated more than 4,000 pounds of PEDIGREE® dry dog food as well as cat food to The Barker Lounge, a boarding facility in Sevierville that is assisting in the care of displaced pets.
- Banfield Foundation has given a $10,000 disaster relief grant to the Sevier County Humane Society.
- BANFIELD® Pet Hospital donated veterinary supplies to aid in the care of the pets from Sevier County Humane Society and more than 20 Banfield Associates have volunteered approximately 350 hours to help Sevier County Humane Society with animal care.
- Several Associates from BluePearl Veterinary Partners have traveled from as far away as Detroit and Philadelphia to join in the effort to help care for injured or displaced pets.
- In its own backyard of Middle Tennessee, this year Mars Petcare Associates completed 45 volunteer activities, including sprucing up shelters and improving the play areas for animals looking for a forever home. And as a group, Mars Petcare and its brands are giving back across the country in a significant way. In 2016, nearly 4,600 Mars Petcare, Banfield and Royal Canin Associates more 43,000 pets and 40,000 pet-owners, and donated 16,000 work hours.
“We are extremely thankful for our amazing associates at Mars Petcare,” said Jam Stewart, director of Corporate Communications at Mars Petcare. “It’s an honor to be able to give back to people and pets in our communities, especially here in our hometown.
“This year, through our Mars Volunteer Program, nearly 4,600 Mars Petcare, Banfield and Royal Canin Associates from across the country donated more than 16,000 volunteer hours and worked with our partners to renovate pet shelters, beautify dog parks and trails, find families for homeless pets through adoption, assist with preventative care for pets in need and much more. This truly brings to life the work we do every day to create a better world for pets.”