Schools is out, summer is here and it’s time to travel! Many of you may be traveling by air this summer and while flying is convenient for long distance trips, one of the worst aspects of traveling by air is delays.
As a record number of travelers are expected to fly this summer, magnifymoney.com compiled a summer flight delay report of the 50 busiest airports, analyzing which cities have more delays than others in the summer months.
Nashville International Airport (BNA), along with Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans, New York and Washington, to name a few, have more summer delays than winter delays, according to the report. The reports states that 76.8% of flights arriving into BNA are on time in the summer months.
Of note: Honolulu International and Salt Lake City have the best summertime arrival rate (with 86.7% and 86% respectively.) The worst? New York – Liberty, La Guardia & Kennedy airports and San Francisco were ranked as the worst.
Out of the 50 airports that were studied for the report, Nashville International is middle of the pack, at #24.
How to Avoid Summer Flight Delays
- Don’t fly in June (if you can help it). June is the worst month for summer airport delays. Three-quarters (76%) of airports reviewed had the most summer delays in June. And the overall on-time rate for June was 76%, compared with the summer average of 77.1%.
- Summer delays are getting worse. Some 54% of airports had worse summer arrival rates in 2017 than they did in 2016, with an average on-time rate across all airports of 76.1%, versus 76.5%.
- Expect 3 out of 4 flights to be on time. The average on-time rate across all 50 airports in 2017 was 76.1%, versus 76.6% over the 10-year period between 2007 and 2016.
- Delays are getting worse at the biggest airports. More than half (56%) of airports had worse on-time arrival rates in 2017 than they did over the previous 10 years.
- It’s rough on the coasts. The numbers showed that Newark-Liberty, LaGuardia, and San Francisco had the worst summer delays of all airports reviewed, while Honolulu, Salt Lake City, and John Wayne Airport in Orange County, Calif., had the least.
If you are looking to avoid delays, book an early morning flight, and be sure to check your flight status with your smartphone and use the airline app and on the chance, your flight gets canceled, use the app to reschedule instead of standing in long lines. See the complete study here.