Franklin Special School District (FSSD) Director of Schools Dr. David Snowden travelled to Franklin Elementary School during lunch to share some exciting news with the students and staff.
Amidst dozens of excited children in the cafeteria, Snowden surprised long-time custodian John Jackson with a balloon bouquet and the announcement that he had been chosen as the 2015 FSSD Classified Employee of the Year.
Jackson has worked at Franklin Elementary for 33 years. He has impacted the lives of thousands of children, serving as a positive role model for every child. “Mr. Jackson has always taken a particular interest in children who have special needs, behavioral issues or are struggling with difficult family situations,” said teacher Tammy Lovell. “ Over the years, I have seen Mr. Jackson give lunch money, ice cream money, waves, high fives, and encouraging words to challenging students.”
Jackson approaches work with a positive attitude and goes above and beyond, often helping to move furniture, unload cars, or carry heavy bags. He is said to have magical powers over temperamental heating and air conditioning units in the building as well.
Jackson, an active member of Little Harpeth Primitive Baptist Church, and his wife, Barbara, have six children.
John Jackson was selected from a group of highly respected and dedicated employees. In addition to Jackson, the 2014-2015 FSSD departmental and school-level Support Staff Employees of the Year are:
* Misty Riggs – Paraprofessional at Liberty Elementary
* Linda Zehring – Paraprofessional at Moore Elementary
* Jerry Scruggs – Custodian at Johnson Elementary
* Jodi Miller – Paraprofessional at Poplar Grove Elementary
* Vicki McMullin – Secretary at Freedom Intermediate
* Liz Cowan, R.N. – School Nurse at Poplar Grove Middle
* Troy Roan Sr. – Custodian at Freedom Middle
* Shirley Spruill – Wee Mac Supervisor at the Central Office Annex
* Linda McKee – Secretary for Transportation/MaintenanceMore School News