A family of three escaped unharmed from a house fire that broke out just before midnight on Monday, January 7th.

The Franklin Fire Department was dispatched at 11:39 p.m. to the single-story brick home on Ewingville Drive, located off of Murfreesboro Road. They arrived four minutes later to find smoke issuing from all roof openings.

Two fire attack crews advanced handlines into the house. The fire was determined to be under control at 11:50 p.m. Franklin Fire Marshal Andy King said the fire originated in the attic, and appeared to have been caused by an electrical problem. He estimated damage to the home at $100,000, and said the home is valued at $400,000.

King said the family reported they were sleeping when the fire started. They were awakened by a loud noise, and upon investigation, discovered smoke. They evacuated the home and called 911. King said the family had working smoke alarms, but because the fire started in the attic, the alarms did not activate until after they had evacuated.

The occupants are being assisted by the American Red Cross.