[sliderpro id=”61″]


The Fairview Yellowjackets finished the regular season with an undefeated record of 10-0 with a 46-11 win against Harpeth Friday.

Harpeth traveled to Fairview with one loss on the year for the matchup that decided the winner of Region 6-3A.

“We started last week with Camden Central that we’re already in the playoffs,” Fairview head coach Chris Hughes stated. “Camden was a playoff game, this was a playoff game, every week now it’s one and done. Everything matters week to week. These guys are focused on when we get our time and we’ve been preaching that for a while. I think if we play like we did tonight, we’ve got a chance.”

The game featured two high-powered offenses on paper, and halfway through the first quarter, both teams were living up to expectations.

Quarterback Walker Weatherly opened scoring on Harpeth’s initial drive. His pass was tipped backwards into the hands of wide receiver Drake Fullum, who ran untouched into the end zone to complete a 63-yard touchdown. Harpeth also converted the 2-point attempt, doing so on a broken play.

While Harpeth owned the early momentum, Fairview fought back when Hunter Caldwell broke through the Indians’ line for a 74-yard touchdown run. Harpeth never recovered.

Jake Beathard scored two rushing touchdowns in the second quarter, including a 25-yard run, to put Fairview up 25-8 at halftime.

The Yellowjackets refused to let off the gas in the second half, and began the third quarter with a 21-yard rushing touchdown from Caldwell. Quarterback Kam Harris-Lusk later scrambled for a 25-yard touchdown as the third period expired, putting Fairview up 39-11, and thus bringing an end to Harpeth’s region chances.

While Fairview’s run game was persistent, it was the defense that was dominant. The Yellowjackets forced three interceptions, including one in the end zone early in the game.

Weatherly and the Indians were occasionally able to gain yardage with big pass plays, but Fairview’s defense won the line of scrimmage, and Harpeth could not run the ball effectively.

“They were explosive when they were improvising,” Hughes said. “At the start of the game it didn’t look good, but we adjusted and calmed down. This was a big game for us. This is the first chance since ’79 we’ve had to go undefeated and our seniors knew it was a big moment. After that, they played lights out.”

After their opening score, Harpeth would only score again once, on a field goal late in the fourth quarter.

Fairview hosts East Nashville (4-6) for a first-round matchup Friday.