One of the responsibilities of being a Brentwood Police officer is responding to 911 emergency calls. Sgt. Chris Woodard responded to a call on Saturday, May 2, 2015. For his outstanding efforts, and for saving a life, Sgt. Woodard has been presented with the “Lifesaving Award” by his department.

After getting the call it took Sgt. Woodard two minutes to arrive at the residence of Ted and Mona Beard, a remarkably quick response.

Mrs. Beard, who was home at the time, heard her husband fall and quickly began doing CPR. She shared she was quickly getting tired from her efforts begging for someone to hurry. Beard remembers the moment the 911 operator said, “The officer is seconds from your front door.” Opening the door to Sgt. Woodard was such a relief for the frightened wife.

Mr. Beard was unresponsive when Sgt. Woodard arrived on the scene. He continued chest compression’s until Beard began breathing again. The ambulance from Station 4 transported Beard to Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Sgt. Woodard shared that in the 10 or 12 times he had responded to this type of call, this would become the first time his efforts would have a “positive outcome.” The word Woodard uses to describe his feelings after realizing the patient would survive, “surreal.”

IMG_7157“It was a collective effort; from Mrs. Beard performing CPR, to me being within two minutes to respond, and the good Lord above, everything just fell into place,” Woodard emotionally explained. During the interview the emotion was apparent on the faces of both the Beards and Sgt. Woodard.

Mrs. Beard looked at her husband and lovingly shared, “I don’t let him out of my site!” The Beards who have lived in Brentwood for 27 years, have never had to utilize the efforts of the police, paramedics or fire departments services before. They could not express enough their appreciation for everyone who had a hand in saving Mr. Beard’s life.

After making his recovery Mr. Beard would learn something he never knew about his wife. It seems Mrs. Beard had been CPR certified. Both Sgt. Woodard and Asst. Chief Tommy Walsh commented on the fact that the quick response by Mrs. Beard played a major role in saving her husband’s life. This is an important message for everyone to take away from this story.

Mr. Beard remarked, “When they catheterized me the doctor told me I had no blockages and had the heart of a 25-year-old.”

“I want to thank my wife, Sgt. Woodard, God and everyone who played a part in me being here today to tell my story. I wouldn’t be here today without them,” said Mr. Beard

Thanks to Sgt. Woodard, Beard has since made a full recovery. The Brentwood Police Department wishes Mr. Beard continued good health and recognizes the efforts of one of their officers.

On Friday, July 24 Sgt. Woodard was honored with the Police Department’s Lifesaving Award.

More Brentwood Stories