As Fall Approaches Follow This Roofing Checklist
- Check all gutters and make sure they’re clean. You may want to consider a gutter guard or leaf covers. This will help keep ice from building up inside the gutter. The extra weight can tear them down.
- Make sure your gutters are securely fastened.
- If you have a flat roof with roof drains, make sure the drains are functioning.
- Check the mortar and brick on your chimneys and call a mason to make any repairs.
- Check all flashings. Flashings are the metal pieces used to waterproof interruptions in the roof plane such as pipes, chimneys, skylights, etc. If you suspect a deficiency and are unsure about how to fix it, call a roofing contractor. Snow leaks can wreak havoc on a house’s interior during the winter – spending a nickel now and save a dime later, as the adage says.
- Check all areas of caulking. Touch up any suspected deficiencies.
- Yes, heat tape works but be careful and buy a high quality product. Heat tapes have been known to catch fire and burn down houses. Also be careful about how you install it. You don’t want to poke a bunch of holes in your roof.
- Although some roof systems take less maintenance than others, all roof systems should be checked periodically to be sure that they are free of debris and drains are clear. Antebellum Roofing LLC recommends that you inspect your roof twice a year. Once in the spring after the winter season and once in the fall after the summer season.
Antebellum Roofing, LLC is committed to providing our customers with quality roof application and construction services. Our reputation and efforts are unparalleled through our commitment to provide customers with superior service, premium products, and quality workmanship.More Roofing Tips