3.Old City Hall
The old City Hall and Courthouse, located next to Mellow Mushroom on Public Square, was once headquarters for the Union soldiers. There have been sightings of ghosts on the balcony of that building, eye witness accounts say they saw a couple of Union soldiers standing on that balcony as they sat on a bench in front of the building.
The courthouse property has been used for various purposes, including hangings, and for branding and beating of criminals. The offices were used for hospital wards after the Battle of Franklin in November 1864.
The current iteration is actually the third construction, built in 1857-8, to replace a much-maligned courthouse that was built in the center of the square in 1808.