Start Date: This position is available immediately.
Description: The Williamson Source is looking for a Reporter who will develop, collect and analyze information about newsworthy events to write news stories for publication or video broadcast. They will receive assignments, as well as be responsible to develop their own story ideas and evaluate news leads and news tips to create story ideas for WilliamsonSource.com content. Ability to do reporting on-camera as well as run camera is required (Camera training will be available if needed).
Daily driving in your own vehicle is required; travel outside Williamson County is rarely needed.
News Reporters will report to the Senior Management Team under the direct supervision of the General Manager.
- Appear on video when conducting filmed interviews or narration
- Ability to run camera, and be “self-contained” while conducting reporting shoots
- Interview people by phone or in person
- Attend press launches, courts, council meetings and other events
- Respond to tip-offs, calls and news releases
- Use social media to promote coverage of their own stories
- Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards
- Monitor police and fire department radio communications to obtain story leads
- May take photographs or shoot video to illustrate stories
- May edit, or assist in editing, videos for broadcast
- Copyedit and proofread all web content to assure no misspellings/bad grammar/mis-information
- Gathers and verifies factual information regarding story through interview, observation, and research
- Responsible for closely following and covering assigned “beats”
- Responsible for using all available media and social outlets available to gather information
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Exceptional skills and usage of Social Media
- Basic knowledge of HTML and experience with WordPress
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Good at absorbing information quickly
- Interested in current and local affairs
- Excellent writing skills
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Technical Writing or a related field preferred
- Passion, Integrity and Energy!
Application: Please apply by responding via e-mail. If possible, provide a list of your activities and experiences relating to the skillset described above. Be prepared to demonstrate your knowledge in an interview.
Proud to be an equal opportunity employer by choice. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org