April 23, 2017

Infant Lifelined to Hospital After Incident at Summit High Day Care

Infant Lifelined to Hospital After Incident at Summit High Day Care
Photo Credit To Michael Carpenter

Just before noon Thursday, lifeline paramedics flew a 10 month* old infant, who suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns, to Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital

The infant pulled an electric bottle warmer onto himself around 11:30 a.m. while in the care of the Summit High School child care center, according to Spring Hill authorities. The school offers childcare services to employees.

“The water scalded his skin, and he suffered pretty significant burns to his head, neck and chest, ” Spring Hill Fire Chief Terry Hood said.

Vanderbilt LifeFlight emergency helicopter landed at the school and transported the infant and his mother to Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital.

*An earlier version of this story reported the child’s age as 3 months, which was based on incorrect information.

More Spring Hill News

Related posts


    1. Comcerned citizen

      I was wondering the same.. a bottle warmer should be on a counter high up out of reach! A three month old cant crawl let alone pull up to a counter and pull something off!! So whats the REAL STORY!?!?

    2. Jennifer

      It could have happened in any number of ways, as it did to my cousin’s then 15-month-old who managed to overturn her cup of fresh, hot coffee and cause burns all over her chest. BUT, that said, I’ve worked in a daycare nursery and I can see how many ways it could have been careless placement, too. We did not even have warmers in the nursery where I worked. We had to call the floater and have it warmed in the kitchen and returned for service.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *